Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reflection on multi-conversing

I think I've just figured out something. Many people, but mostly men with their slightly different way of relating to people than women, have issues keeping several lines of conversation going at once. On a large scale, this is obviously true. Not even I, le grande writer of this blog, can hold a conversation with more than three people, although I do enjoy the challenge. It's mostly a vision thing. I like making eye contact with people I'm talking with, and once you get more than three, you have to turn your head, and you can completely lose sight of the third person, therefore miss all the visual cues you might want.
I have found that most of the men I work with - ok, all - have a hard enough time keeping one conversation going, much less interaction with more than one. And I believe, based on my own experience, men also have issues when they can't see the person's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment