Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Detroit?

One of the things I get off on is new, wacky ideas. I'm terribly intrigued by them, and I like spinning off my own ideas from them. That said, I'm good at the ideas, not great with the implementation. But hey, I started this blog thing, that's a step in the general direction...right?

Anyway, Detroit. I came across a couple of articles that made my creative, idea-hungry brain go "OVERLOAD! OVERLOAD!" In a nutshell, Detroit is reverting back to grass and brush. It's the "incredible shrinking city" and for the right people, it's the land of opportunity. It is SO COOL the things that one could do there...a 2-story beehive? Selling raccoon carcasses for $12 a piece? OK, that's not cool, it's kind of gross, but apparently, there is a protein shortage in that city. (shakes her head in bewildered disbelief)

One of the things that caught my attention on this was the move towards anarchy in this city, or at the very least, a real laissez-faire approach to regulation. Calling all true Republicans! Here's your chance to prove less government is better! Rebuild this city into a true capitalist meritocracy, then prove your point to the nation. Just don't take any taxpayer dollars to do it. And don't mow over any disadvantaged minorities.

Here are a couple articles:
http://www.newgeography.com/content/001171-detroit-urban-laboratory-and-new-american-frontier - awesome photos.
http://www.guernicamag.com/spotlight/1182/food_among_the_ruins/ - the case for farming the city.

http://www.urbanophile.com/what-i-believe/ - the blog of the guy who wrote the New Geography piece.

This is beginning to remind me why architecture can be cool.

1 comment:

  1. keep staying in touch with why you think your field is cool.. I'm sooo all for that. ;-) meowmeow.

    ReplyDelete