Monday, March 22, 2010

A new goal - 7:30am

The new goal is to wake up at 7:30 every morning...and actually, eventually get to 6:30am. The reason is, not because I need to be more virtuous, which some people I know automatically associate with waking up early, but because I need to get a lot of stuff done, and waking up earlier gives me a sense of control that waking up for a job doesn't.

The things I'm looking to do include
- getting a lot of economics self-study under my belt
- Spanish
- violin
- eventually pick up a second career - perhaps in finance or some financial field.

So, I hereby return to this blog to record progress. Today I was up at 7:30 - although I was certainly awoken earlier having heard the resident, crazy mouse make a noise akin to it dropping its massive girth from some height and landing on the ceiling. I went for a walk that took about an hour, had breakfast, started into an econ lecture.

ANd now for the recipe portion of our post:
I have a favorite dressing composed of
olive oil (fat),
garlic (savory),
soy sauce (salt),
lime or lemon juice (tang)
honey or agave nectar (sweet)
and red pepper (spicy).

Notice how it's got pretty much every major flavor in it? Well, you can also get this mixture this way:
olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, chopped apple, and ginger.
1 - Saute chopped garlic (a few cloves) and fresh sliced ginger (an small inch long piece is enough) in the olive oil for a couple of minutes.
2 - Add chopped apple (half an apple is good, chopped pretty finely), give a squeeze of soy sauce, or however much you prefer. Or you can just salt it with regular salt.
3 - cook until the apple is softened.

I made this the other day and dressed a package of brussel sprouts with it. Very tasty. I might have added more tang with a bit of lemon or lime juice, but wanted to see how much tang the apple would impart. I'd say, a bit. Not much, but a little.

2 comments:

  1. what kind of apple? some apples are more tangy than others.
    meow meow meow meow meow!
    I misseded you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shamoochie -- what about today? did you wakes up?

    ReplyDelete