Sunday, March 28, 2010

things worth getting up for

Well, I was up at 7am yesterday to get to Yale for the Yale Celebration of Women conference, and today I was up at 6:45am. Wasn't really sleeping that well, but mostly because I was so fired up about the Yale conference. I was incredibly inspired and encouraged by the people I met there. I never really thought a Yale women's group would be supportive for me, being a mostly solo kind of girl, but these women were incredible. With their warmth combined with their intelligence and accomplishments, they present a powerful and powerfully motivating force. This is the best of alumnae fellowship and connection. Really bright, passionate people with hearts as big as can be.

Women I met over lunch, having never met them before, after hearing about me and where I am in life were kind and said, "you're obviously smart and talented. Take a risk!" You can't achieve if you don't risk. One woman, whose husband, a lovely Japanese-American man, was there with her, comprehended the nature of being raised with an Asian heritage, rife with risk aversion and deep seated desire for security. But, she said, you won't be able to be passionate, achieve great things, (build your world) unless you take a risk.

One fabulous lady from the first class of women admitted to Yale is a neurologist, and she had this terrific yellowy-orange fireball kind of energy. Sitting next to her, hearing her talk, I just soaked in her energy, basking in the sense that with women like her in the world, injustice and the status quo won't stand. Inspiring.

A younger woman I met was passionate about water sanitation. She has a PhD in water sanitation. This was really quite cool, and we talked about composting toilets. Her passion was infectious, as was her energy.

Speakers at the event were equally inpsiring. One young woman in her mid-20s started a non-profit during college and has built it into a worldwide organization in about 5 years. She was obviously young, obviously not worldly and polished compared to 20-30 year veterans of non-profits, but the fact that these older women were embracing her was inspiring to me. She's doing good, but it's equally important the she be publicly recognized by her elders - amplifying the good she does.

Women law professors, kick-ass ladies with razor sharp brains! Nothing is sexier.

And advice from the first female state surpreme court justice, who started as an art history major, never imagining a career in law, much less becoming an influential state supreme court judge. Be passionate, ask questions, seize opportunities as they come, don't be shy, tolerate the spotlight and tolerate criticism - don't take it personally. Family first...

All in all, a wonderful way to spend a Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. wow.
    that sounds awesome. I could use a good dose of empowerment like that.. mmm, why not? I've got a similar book and maybe I could just read it over and give myself a little more mental time in power land.. thanks for the idea. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, you have inspired me.. I am going to try to follow in your footsteps and develop habits.. every day I'll post about the habits and see if I can do it every day. I am seriously off balance and I know I'm in a tremendous amount of pain and I'm going to try to make things better. http://catchatigerstoe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete