Monday, March 29, 2010

up early, got a worm

Networking and waking up early. It does kind of work. I think.

Got up at 7:30, checked email, and lo, an opportunity to check out a job. Did that, went to do my little part time gig, went up to the interview, and came back home, exhausted.

Then, on a whim, I went onto hulu and watched an episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Stunning. Kids who don't know what an eggplant or tomatoes are....Anyway, I was so moved that I actually wrote to the guy through his website to laud him. It was a little unbelievable what was going on in the school. One might be tempted to think that these kids, being in West Virginia, well, they're just a bunch of hicks, right? But hicks who don't teach their children what vegetable names are??? These 6 year olds who didn't know potatoes, tomatoes, peas, ...none of it! They didn't know that tomatoes make ketchup, and that the french fries they immediately knew come from potatoes. Can we take this to mean that there is something seriously wrong in this country? Maybe, maybe not. But it is, by itself, rather off.

OK, bedtime.

1 comment:

  1. oh, I've been so tired. I haven't been keeping up with anything and I'm exhausted and picking fights with my bosswho is annoyed.. and I'm struggling with work and the teaching is just overwhelming and I cn't get to ed early and struggle to get up early.. I'm so exhausted. I admire you a ton. I wish I could make and keep these habits. it is so hard for me. but you are my inspiration. meowmeow.

    ReplyDelete