Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 12 - People

I did my breathing, visualizations (sort of), and calisthenics and jogging around the house. Good stuff. It's definitely feeling like a habit, because the first thing I want to do when I get out of bed is exercise. Now if only I would get out of bed a little earlier, that would help.

I think I ought to forget architecture, or at least forget working for a firm. They are so hide-bound, most firms. Some of them are lucky and get to do really cutting edge work, but most of them don't. And building as a process is terribly hide-bound. I mean, there's no getting around some of the work, cutting, bricklaying, etc. But I can say from experience, the inefficiencies within the administrative process, as well as the very weird position architects find themselves (carving out a tiny fiefdom between the contractor and owner) is enough to make a sane person pack up their bags and head for the nearest saloon. Not sure where that imagery came from.

Anyway, what am I thankful for today? People! I had three people with whom I created good relationships with in my former job email me sort of out of the blue to chat. I think it's that beginning of the new year thing, but nevertheless, it's really nice to know people are interested in you, for whatever reason. Especially if you live out in the sticks... Anyway, people are an interesting conduit to seeing things from other perspectives, a way of finding a way outside of yourself, because honestly, staying within your own narrow perspective can be deadly. And people are generally helpful. They each have their own problems and issues they have to deal with, but by and large, if you ask, someone out there will come through with an answer or some kind of help. It may not be what you want, but it just might be what you need. To paraphrase the Stones...

"People, needing people, are the luckiest people..." from some musical....

Yay, people!

2 comments:

  1. musical -funny girl, barbra streisand made it popular

    muntins sounds cute.
    thanks for the edumacashun

    I was rreally stressed out last night -still feeling the effects of it in fact. felt like a slug this morning. haven't done my exercise yet. can tried to wiggle my butt this morning but just didn't feel like I could. somefing's wrong.

    I will keep trying though.
    have a job fair at 2pm to go to.

    hearad a lab mate do her final seminar and she did an awesome job. wish i could do that well. and feel depressed and down th I'm not that good. wish I were.
    so I think I need to try again now to do my dancing around thing. yes, even in my office, here. this is what an mp3 player is for, meow?

    so I tthink I might be thankfful for my mp3 player so that I can listen to music in my office without bothering anyone and I can try to dance for 10 minutes here to get my energy up.
    let you know how it goes later on today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just reading something about CEOs of start-up companies, and how they all recognize that exercising is a top priority. Got to have that body working in good condition, so it's up there with sleeping and eating right. Your work will be better for it.

    ReplyDelete