Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 6 - Student Enthusiasm

Taught some violin today, did a bunch of errands, including grocery shopping which ought to be considered exercise in my opinion. My elbows are sore today.

I'm grateful for my student B. She's 11, but looks around 8. Cute, sweet, and quite into violin, she's only been playing for a few months, but already she's A+ in my book. She's into music generally, and musical instruments, and has a certain aptitude for music. She wants to practice, and she really wants to learn. She will sometimes say that a two-line piece she is learning "sounds cool," which tickles me, because there is so much more cool-sounding stuff out there I can introduce her to. It occurs to me that this kind of receptivity to music is by no means universal, or even particularly common. Maybe it's pushed out of people after a certain age, but I've seen enough students who don't think it sounds cool to know that her interest in music is not super typical.

I could speculate as to why she is oriented this way towards music. I have to admit, it seems that there might be some back story I'm oblivious to that might shed some interesting light on her affinity for music and violin in particular. But, really, I'm just grateful she wants to practice and wants to learn because this way it's much easier for me to teach. In a sense, her enthusiasm and ability to learn are like a key that unlocks the information flow that I have to offer. It reminds me that I have plenty to give...I am rich in my violin knowledge, and as such, I am useful, skilled, and necessary.

Today, I am quite tired, so can't think straight, but somewhere betwixt B., violin, beautiful music, and me, at that point where we all converge, the universe is trying to make a lovely harmony.

1 comment:

  1. we have muchness ... we have much to give.. and much to be. I like your Bs.
    much love.

    i exercised this day too.

    ReplyDelete